Medicines Australia congratulates new shadow ministry appointments
7 June 2022: Medicines Australia congratulates the new shadow ministry, announced over the weekend by Federal Opposition Leader Peter Dutton.
Medicines Australia CEO, Elizabeth de Somer, congratulated Senator the Hon. Anne Ruston on her appointment as the Shadow Minister for Health and Aged Care, the Hon Andrew Gee MP on his appointment as the Shadow Minister for Regional Health and Gavin Pearce MP on his appointment as Shadow Assistant Minister for Health, Aged Care and Indigenous Health Services.
“These are extremely important portfolios, made even more so by the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.
“It is vital that Australians have timely access and equity of access to the latest medicines, vaccines, and treatments when they need them, no matter where they live.
“The innovative medicines industry relies on a stable political environment, including a well-funded PBS, to attract investment, create jobs, and to provide the latest medicines and vaccines to Australians when they need them.
“I look forward to consulting with Senator Ruston and her colleagues as we all work together to speed up access to innovative medicines for all Australians,” Ms de Somer said.
Medicines Australia also congratulates the new Shadow Minister for Industry, Skills and Training and Deputy Leader of the Opposition, the Hon Sussan Ley MP; Shadow Treasurer, the Hon Angus Taylor MP; Shadow Minister for Science, the Digital Economy and Government Services, the Hon Paul Fletcher MP; Shadow Minister for Indigenous Australians, Julian Leeser MP and; Shadow Minister for Finance, Senator the Hon Jane Hume.
Key priorities for Medicines Australia include:
- Full implementation of the Medicines Australia Strategic Agreement.
- Accepting the recommendations from the House of Representatives Inquiry and publishing a Government response.
- Finalising the National Medicines Policy Review and commitment to its vision and purpose.
- Reform of the Health Technology Assessment (HTA) process.
- Establishing a high-level, Government-Industry, life sciences roundtable forum that will drive increased investment in innovation, create jobs and ensure better health outcomes for Australians.
For further information or media interviews, please contact:
Chrystianna Moran – 0424 995 118 / email@example.com
John Flannery – 0419 494 761 / firstname.lastname@example.org